A group of Eastside residents have enthusiastically taken on the task of developing the first grassroots aging-in-place “Village” in the Portland metro area.
A Village is a group of like-minded people in a geographic area who come together to help each other age affordably in their own homes. This kind of village is not a building or a real estate development or a retirement community. It is a coordinated network of volunteer and reduced cost services that supports village members to “do as much for as little cost for as long as possible.”
The working boundaries of Eastside Village, PDX are:
- Powell Blvd on the south until SE 82nd, then Division continuing east;
- the Willamette River on the west;
- I-84/Banfield or Halsey (east of I-205) on the north;
- 122nd on the east (except between Stark and Division where the boundary extends out to 130th to include all of the Mill Park neighborhood).
According to the current working boundaries, the Eastside Village PDX service area will cover all or part of 12 Portland neighborhoods: Buckman, Kerns, Laurelhurst, Sunnyside, North Tabor, Montavilla, Hazelwood (west of 122nd), Hosford-Abernethy, Richmond, Mt Tabor, Mill Park and South Tabor. [The working boundaries may be subject to change.]
Our goal is to launch the village by early 2015.
Village membership will be open to anyone who is 18 or older, so that people with disabilities who aren’t yet seniors may benefit from its services and support.
April 21: Potluck and Community Meeting
Join the members of the Eastside Village community at our monthly potluck and community meeting. Meet the Eastside Village Governing Council, learn about our progress toward formally launching the Village in early 2015, and discover how your skills and talents can help get Eastside Village off the ground! Potluck starts at 6pm; meeting follows at 7pm. In the Waverly Heights UCC church social hall, 3300 SE Woodward St, Portland. Bring a potluck dish to share. We’ll have plates, bowls, glasses, cups, utensils available. No RSVP required. For more info, email info@EastsideVillage.org.
Upcoming Village 101 Presentations
The best way to learn about Villages and what’s happening here in Portland is to attend a free Village 101 presentation. Here are the upcoming presentations:
- Saturday April 5 at 2pm at the NE Community Center, 1630 NE 38th Ave.
Sunday April 6 at 2pm at SE Uplift, 3534 SE Main.
- Saturday April 26 at 2pm at the St. John’s Library, 7510 N Charleston Ave.
- Sunday April 27 at 2pm at the Central Lutheran Church, 1820 NE 21st.
- Sunday May 4 at 2pm at the Lents Village Community Center, 10325 SE Holgate.
- Thursday May 15 at 2:30pm at the Brentwood-Darlington Community Center, 7211 SE 62 Ave.
Space is limited. Please email info@EastsideVillage.org to RSVP.
Eastside Village, PDX aspires to be a supportive, interdependent community in which older adults and people with disabilities are able to live at home safely, affordably, happily and healthily for as long as they choose.
If this vision speaks to you and you live inside our village boundaries, please join us!